Blue Mountains YHA
Greywater at YHA Katoomba
The Aquacell Water Recycling System at the Katoomba YHA treats the hostel's greywater.
- The greywater is obtained from the hostel itself. Greywater is collected from showers and washing machines, recycling water that would otherwise be discharged to the sewer.
- The Aquacell G1 water recycling system installed at YHA Katoomba treats the greywater to a high standard making it safe for reuse suppling water for the hostel's toilet flushing.
- Treated greywater is NOT suitable for drinking
Where is greywater treated at YHA Katoomba and for what purpose?
YHA Katoomba has an Aquacell G1 system mounted outside the main kitchen on the northern face of the YHA building, at 207 Katoomba Street, and is designed to recycle greywater collected from three female showers and one washing machine. The treated water is then re-used for toilet flushing.
What precautions are in place to protect my health?
The YHA Katoomba has a dual pipe system, which means the recycled water is transported around the site in a separate pipe system to the drinking water ("mains water"). As there are no purple recycled water hoses or taps accessible to guests at the YHA Katoomba site, it is very unlikely you will ever come into contact with recycled water and the recycled water is completely isolated from the mains water supply.
What can I do to contribute?
You can help by following the guidelines below, which will keep the water recycling system running at its optimum.
- Be aware that treated water is in use at the YHA Katoomba for toilet flushing.
- Don't drink the recycled water, it is non-potable.
- Do not allow any of the following materials down the drains;
- Pet care products
- Silicon or silicon based products
- Paint or Paint Thinners
- High-Foaming Degreasers
- Draino or Caustic Soda
- Faecal matter
Important Contact Information
Emergencies - Life Threatening Dial: 000
- Fire Brigade
Incidents and Emergencies
For urgent repairs, incidents and emergencies, YHA Front desk must be contacted and informed of the incident immediately.
YHA Katoomba Front Desk: 02 4782 1416
- Burst water service
- Dangerous electrical fault
- Water service breakdown
- Any fault or damage that creates a hazardous condition
- Production of out-of-spec water
In the event of an electrical hazard, an Emergency Stop button is mounted on the Control Cabinet panel.
Treatment Plant Operator
Aquacell Pty Ltd
1/26 Megalong Street
Katoomba, NSW 2780
Phone: 02 4782 3300 or 1300 AQUACELL
Fax: 02 4782 3211
Recycled Water Reticulation Scheme Operator
Blue Mountains YHA
207 Katoomba Street
Katoomba NSW 2780
Phone: 02 4782 1416
Fax: 02 4782 6203