K2 Sustainable Housing Project
Greywater at K2
The Aquacell Water Recycling System at K2 treats greywater only.
- The greywater at K2 is obtained from baths, showers and hand basins.
- The Aquacell water recycling system installed at K2 treats the greywater to a standard that makes it safe for:
- watering landscaped areas by irrigation beneath the surface of the soil
- flushing toilets
- Treated greywater is NOT suitable for drinking
Where is greywater treated at K2?
The water from all showers, bathtubs and hand basins in Buildings 3 and 4 drains to a treatment plant located at the rear of Building 4. You will also see the lids to underground tanks in this location. These tanks contain untreated greywater that is being prepared for treatment, as well as treated water that is stored, ready for reuse in the toilet flushing or garden irrigation systems.
How will the recycled water be used at K2?
The recycled water is used for flushing toilets in all apartments and for watering of landscaped areas via a sub-surface drip feed irrigation system. There are no taps or public access to the recycled water.
What precautions are in place to protect my health?
The K2 building has a dual pipe system, which means the recycled water is transported around the site and throughout the buildings in a separate (purple coloured) pipe system to the drinking water ("mains water"). As there are no purple recycled water hoses or taps accessible to residents at the K2 site, it is very unlikely you will ever come into contact with recycled water.
Plumbing connections are checked regularly to ensure there is no chance of cross connection. The Office of Housing will ensure all work carried out on site adheres to these guidelines.
Can I do my own plumbing?
You cannot do your own plumbing works. What you can and cannot do to maintain your apartment, including plumbing, is contained in the brochure "Repairs to your home". For any repairs or maintenance relating to the recycled water system, call the Maintenance Call Centre on 131 172.
What can I do to contribute?
You can help by following the guidelines below, which will keep the water recycling system running at its optimum.
- Contact the Maintenance Call Centre immediately on 131 172 if you experience any problems with your plumbing
- Do use your laundry tub to wash dirty nappies or other human waste (not your hand basin, shower or bath)
- Educate visitors to your home about the recycled water system, and these dos and don'ts.
- Don't drink greywater, it is non-potable.
- Don't attempt to alter or repair any of your plumbing. Contact the Maintenance Call Centre if you have any problems.
- Don't wash pets in the shower or hand basin.
- Do not allow any of the following materials down the drains;
- Human waste
- Pet care products
- Silicon or silicon based products
- Paint or Paint Thinners
- High-Foaming Degreasers
- Draino or Caustic Soda
- Faecal matter
Important Contact Information
Emergencies - Life Threatening Dial: 000
- Fire Brigade
Incidents and Emergencies
For urgent repairs, incidents and emergencies, the K2 Office of Housing must be contacted immediately.
Office of Housing Maintenance Call Centre: 131 172.
- Burst water service
- Blocked or broken toilet
- Dangerous electrical fault
- Water service breakdown
- Any fault or damage that creates a hazardous condition
- Production of out-of-spec water
In the event of an electrical hazard, E-Stop buttons are mounted on the chlorine panel inside the plant room, and inside the process control panel.
Treatment Plant Operator
Aquacell Pty Ltd
Level 1, 479 Warrigal Road,
Moorabbin VIC 3189
Telephone: 03 9532 5709 or 1300 AQUACELL
Fax: 03 9532 2512
Other important contacts:
Office of Housing
Telephone: 1300 650 172
Office of Housing, South Melbourne Branch, Prahran
Telephone: 03 8646 3600
Department of Human Services, Environment Health (Public Health Branch)
Telephone: 1300 761 874
EPA Victoria, Yarra Region
Telephone: 03 9695 2700
South East Water
Telephone: 03 9552 3969
City of Port Philip
Telephone: 03 9209 6777